Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A few random tastings...


So last weekend was a big weekend for beer for me. My husband had a bunch of his guy friends fly in from all over the country and we all drank beer...the entire weekend (along with some random foolery). Here are some of my tasting notes:

The first beer we tried was a collaboration between Bell's Brewery and Dirk Naudts- Van Twee Belgian Ale, which is a dark belgian ale brewed with cherry juice and 7.5%. This beer was interesting. It did not blow me away with the first sip, as I was expecting more cherry flavor but the flavor grew bigger and bigger with every sip until I really enjoyed it. It was a bit smokey in flavor and had some notes of sour in the finish; which contrasted nicely once the cherry flavor became abundant.




The second beer we tried was Widmer's Cherry Oak Doppelbock, 9%, which is part of their Brothers' Reserve series.
You know when you taste something or smell something and it brings you back in time with a memory? OMG, this beer took me back to Jersey in high school before I could drive and my friends and I would hang out at 7-11....it tasted exactly like a Cherry Cola Slurpee....AND I mean that in a good way. It was not too overly sweet, but definitely had that abundance of cherry flavor balanced with a great doppelbock base with notes of smokey chocolate and a hint of caramel....very tasty and fabulous. I would get this one again!

The last beer we had, was from Avery (one of our favorite breweries of all time) that our friend from Boulder, was so gracious to bring us a bottle. It was the dungaA- a double IPA- 8.5%. It is suppose to be an IPA that is between their Maharaja and their India Pale Ale....
It smelled fantastic-pine, grapefruit and a hint of toffee/caramel.It has a large hoppy flavor explosion with  grapefruit and backed by a bit of sweet malt. Very nice. Very drinkable. Very not available in
California right now....boo!  We await it's delivery....
And until then we will just rely on Brandon...
.

No comments:

Post a Comment